Monday, November 7, 2011

No couch jumping for this girl, just a field of flowers


I love the mullet. 

Years ago one night, I was unable to sleep so I turned on the television where I came across a documentary on the IFC. The documentary was actually a very interesting look at Scientology. Interesting in the sense that the documentary somehow managed to portray the people featured as victims rather than crazies.  I learned lots of new things about Scientology that I had not previously been informed about by John Travolta or Jenna Elfman via interviews. There were three topics brought to light in the documentary that really grabbed my attention for different reasons. 1) There is a spaceman out there that is going to save me someday by picking me in a great big spaceship. 2) A lot of elderly people in the United States have lost their entire life savings to the Church of Scientology. 3) Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman had a great big field of flowers man made for them by workers of the church for the sole purpose of fulfilling their ultimate fantasy as a couple - running through a field of flowers while holding hands.  

I'm here to address #3 but before I do, let me give you some more details. According to this documentary, Tom Cruise had been a member of the Church of Scientology before he met Nicole Kidman. By the time they got married, she also became a follower. Because Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, he knew the head honcho of the Church. Tom and Nicole for whatever reason shared their ultimate couple fantasy with this man and he made it a reality for them. 

Members of the church worked hard at creating a field for Tom and Nicole. Very hard. It was reported that members of the church would work rotating shifts, 24/7 until the field was complete, even working in the pouring rain. Ultimately, it was completed and Tom and Nicole flew in from wherever they were and lived out their wildest fantasy. 

The best part about this documentary was that it wasn't focused on celebrities. Tom and Nicole were just a random discussion topic that were brought up.

It's rumored that Tom and Nicole ended because Nicole wasn't as devoted to Scientology as Tom was. Whatever the reason, I don't know what to think about either of them after hearing that story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment