Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Trouble in nonexistent paradise


Ah, man. I don't even know where to start with these two. Let me start by saying that the above picture speaks volumes.

As I do, let me give a little background information about the union of Sean Penn and Madonna before I share my deepest thoughts and feelings about their relationship. For those of you that don't know, to date, Madonna and Sean Penn are categorized as one of the most toxic celebrity couples of all time. Toxic is an understatement. They were married for four very tumultuous years. Their union finally came to a halt after one abhorrent night.

The story goes a little something like this. Sean and Madonna had been fighting as usual. He went over to her house in Malibu intoxicated beyond comprehension and they started to argue. He tied her up to a chair, threatened to cut off her hair and slapped her around. He finally agreed to untie her in exchange for performing a dirty sex act. Finally, she somehow managed to escape to her car where she called the police. This ordeal lasted several hours. This was the worst of Sean and Madonna. Before that, their relationship wasn't necessarily gumdrops and lollipops. It was reported that before this incident, he once hit her over the forehead with a baseball bat.

With that background information shared, let me get into what I was going to talk about.

Can you imagine knowing these two while they were together? They were the type of couple that upon visiting, they would make you feel completely uncomfortable by arguing in front of you. Hopefully you've never had to encounter such a couple before. Unfortunately, I have.

My old roommate and his girlfriend reminded me a lot of Sean and Madonna. When I would hear them fighting through the walls of our house, I knew they were doing it for me. They wanted an audience, you see. They didn't care that it was me that they were fighting in front of or people on the streets. They got off on the fact that they were crushing each other's egos in the presence of another, for they blatantly loathed each other. So why were they together in the first place? Well, lets get back on subject, why were Sean and Madonna together in the first place?

Sean and Madonna were two huge personalities that couldn't stand being one-up'd, if you will. It was a constant battle to knock one another down. What else did they have to live for at the time? Sean was already established as an actor and Madonna was on the tipping point of making her mark in pop culture. For the two people that they were, they were perfect for each other in their own messed up way.

I like to believe that they drew ambition from one another. In any relationship, it's great to be with someone who inspires you to be all that you can. Sean and Madonna were on the high end of this concept. Finally, a point came when each realized that they could never win the battle but Sean was the one to lose his shit over the fact.

A lesson can be learned from Madonna and Sean. Your partner in life can inspire you but if it goes that far, it's time to call it quits. It will never work.

I will end by saying that domestic violence is disturbing, intolerable, deplorable and all the negative adjectives that you can come up with. Never should one be objectified to physical harm over differing perspectives in a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment